Waratah Plaque (Doulton)
Painted from living specimens by Doulton's artist, Louis Bilton, when visiting Australian in the 1880's.
"... from a plaque in the possession of Mr John Shorter, of Parramatta, which he kindly lent for reproduction. It is called the Waratah plaque, that plant predominating in the tout-ensemble. The clusters of cream coloured flowers are the Wonga Vine [Pandorea pandorana]. It measures 16 inches [40 cm] in diameter, and is un chef-d'oeuvre, the bold colour of the Waratah making a conspicuous object in this piece of ceramic art. L Bilton's name can just be made out at the bottom of the plate, a little towards the right."
From: R.T.Baker (1915) 'The Australian Flora in Applied Art, Part 1, The Waratah', Sydney.