Advisory Council of Federal Capital Territory recommends the setting up of Gardens to the Minister for the Interior.
Dr B T Dickson submits report to the Advisory Council recommendng site etc for Gardens. This has come to be known as the Dickson Report.
Dr Edwin Gauba starts collecting herbarium specimens while a prisoner at Loveday Internment Camp in the SA mallee, later to form part of the CBG Herbarium.
Lindsay Pryor appointed Superintendent of Parks and Gardens for Canberra, part of the Department of the Interior.
Pryor recommends start on Gardens. (budget of 1000 pounds for six months) 1948 A few eucalypts planted by Pryor on site for Gardens.
Ceremonial planting of first trees by Prime Minister Ben Chifley and Director of Kew Gardens, Sir Edward Salisbury.
Dr Edwin Gauba appointed (temporary) botanist for the Dept of Interior Parks and Gardens section, initiating the herbarium that became the CBG Herbarium.
Eviction notices sent to grazing lease holders of Gardens site on side of Black Mountain.
Pryor proposes site and area for Jervis Bay and Mt Gingera Annexes.
400 trees planted at Jervis Bay Annexe on New South Wales south coast.
Approval for alpine Annexe at Mt Gingera from Secretary Dept of Interior.
David Shoobridge appointed Director of Parks and Gardens.
Dr Betty Phillips appointed first Botanist for the Gardens.
Questions in the Commonwealth Senate confirm 'indegenous' nature of Gardens collection.
Herbarium contained 15 000 specimens.
First Index Seminum seed catalogue produced by Gardens.
Herbarium, Office, Library, Gardener's Depot and 3 cottages completed in Gardens. Herbarium collection moved from temporary storage of suburban house.
Gardens open to public for first time.
Construction of first two glasshouses at Nursery.
Official opening of Gardens by Prime Minister John Gorton.
First edition of Gardens' annual publication Growing Native Plants.
'Canberra Botanic Gardens' re-named 'National Botanic Gardens'.
Aboriginal Trail established in its present form with logo and photometal interpretive signs installed
First plantings in newly completed Rock Garden.
Last Index Seminum seed catalogue produced.
International Association of Botanic Gardens (IABG). conference hosted by Gardens.
'National Botanic Gardens' re-named 'Australian National Botanic Gardens'
Opening of Visitor Centre by Prince and Princess of Wales.
200 000 specimens in CBG Herbarium.
Official launch of Friends of ANBG by Lindsay Pryor at Biota'90 open days celebrations.
`Protective Custody' endangered plant conference hosted by ANBG
Feb First intake of Voluntary Guides start 10-week training course.
First publication of Musci Australasiae Exsiccati by CBG Cryptogam herbarium.
Publication of souvenir guide book for Gardens.
First intake of students under CBG Herbarium Intenship Scheme.
Memorandum signed to establish the Centre for Plant Biodiversity Research
New 10 year agreement signed to maintain the joint management of the Centre for Plant Biodiversity Research by ANBG and CSIRO.
Launch of the Fungi web site, sponsored by Friends of ANBG.
ANBG added to Commonwealth Heritage List recognised by EPBC Act .
Botanical Resource Centre, with Public Reference Herbarium, opened next to Friends' Lounge.
Launch of National Action Plan for Role of Botanic Gardens in Climate Change.
Directional 'street signs' installed throughout the Gardens to aid visitors.
Grassy Woodland section, near front gate, redeveloped with board-walk.
New agreement signed with CSIRO, CPBR becomes CANBR, Centre for Australian National Biodiversity Research.
First non-potable water, pumped from Lake Burley Griffin, piped through the Gardens irrigation system.
New logo and corporate branding signed off by Director National Parks for an October implementation.