Home > CANBR > Herbarium > History
Documents relating to the history of the CANBR

History of the Tropical Forest Research Centre Laboratories

photo: Atherton herbarium; photographer: Teguh TrionoIn 1970, the site was purchased by the Commonwealth for the development of the Department of National Development, Forestry and Timber Bureau. The centre was opened on the 21st of October 1971, as the headquarters of the now defunct Forestry Research Institute

The construction of the laboratories were completed in 1971. Ownership was then transferred to CSIRO in 1975. An extension to the herbarium took place in 1977/78.

In 1987 a major redevelopment of the site occurred. Works included the construction of a new wing with new offices, research laboratories and a conference room.

In 1994 another redevelopment of the site occurred. Works included an extension to the herbarium, the addition of a two story building which houses the site library as well as offices and laboratories.

photo: Bernie HylandBernie Hyland’s time in Atherton

Bernie Hyland had a long involvement with the Atherton laboratories and herbarium until his retirement in February 2002.

1960-1971 – Queensland Department of Forestry

1971-1975 – Commonwealth Forest Research Institute

1975-1985 – CSIRO Division of Forest Research

1985-2002 - CSIRO Division of Plant Industry

1993-2002 - Centre for Plant Biodiversity Research

The Collection

See the CHAH Resources of Australian Herbaria entry for contact details.

HERBARIUM CODE:

QRS

CITES number:

AU014

HERBARIUM NAME:

Australian National Herbarium (Atherton)

pie-chart

NUMBER OF SPECIMENS:

Total

Types

Angiosperms

-

-

Dicots

105878

408

Monocots

11100

41

Gymnosperms

1162

1

Pteridophytes

4062

7

Wood Samples

c. 1400

-

Unaccessioned

6000

-

There are 7996 sheets from the AFO and 9959 sheets from The Naturalists Club of Cairns (Flecker collections)

 

Download CSIRO Atherton Herbarium Fact Sheet 2004 in PDF format.

 

^ top