Council of Heads of Australasian Herbaria
Born on 15 November 1895, probably in Tasmania, and died in Hobart in 1969.
graduated from the University of Tasmania in 1916, joined the staff as
a lecturer in 1922 and was Professor of Physics from 1926 to
1959. In an obituary, the Australian Journal of Science (July
1969) stated —
World War II he experimented with methods of burning charcoal for
producer gas motors, but his greatest contribution was with experiments
he initiated for techniques in the production of precision optical
work. In collaboration with Mr E. N. Waterworth and Dr F. D.
Cruikshank he developed a large optical factory which played a role in
war-time supplies. He also initiated methods for use in the
design of aircraft camera lenses. After the war he returned
to his earlier interest in biophysical work, which was to become a
strong line of specialized research in the Department of Physics.