Council of Heads of Australasian Herbaria
The Rev. James Lamont, F.LS. was born on 10th July 1844 at Crathie, Scotland. Died on 28 August 1928 at Edinburgh, Scotland.
On going to London he joined the congregation of Dr. Thain Davidson at Islington. He took the full curriculum at King's College and London University, and at the close of his course in the English Presbyterian Theological Hall he was ordained and inducted into the Pastoral Charge of Portsmouth. After a brief successful pastorate he became Minister of Union Church, Hong Kong, for about five years, On returning to England he was settled in Kentish Town, and was also appointed Editor of the English 'Presbyterian Messenger'. On account of the health of his wife, who ably assisted him in all his ministerial work he came to New South Wales in October 1881.
Mr. Lamont's first Parish in New South Wales was the new Charge of Coonabarabran, from which he was translated in December, 1883, to East Maitland, where he ministered until July, 1894, when he went to Kogarah. He was appointed the first Minister of the Presbyterian Church at Mosman in 1898. On account of failing health he resigned his post at Mosman in June 1914 and went to live in Edinburgh, where he died on 28 August 1928.
In England, China and New South Wales Mr. Lamont took a special interest in Botany. He kept in touch with the authorities of the British Museum, this resulted in the discovery of many specimens, several of which were named after him. In recognition of his contributions to botanic science he was elected a Fellow of the Linnaean Society of London in 1893.
Source: Book: 'Scots Kirk, Mosman', 1973 by John C Mackillop, via pers.com.